Monday, October 19, 2009

Avoiding the excuse mill.

I already admitted that I'm having a rough time lately. And despite posting that blog and admitting my mistakes, I still had a rough weekend. I just can't get it together and this really isn't normal for me at all.

But this morning I started thinking about WHY I've been eating so horribly. Granted, the not exercising part I haven't been able to help (foot is much better, going spinning today THANK GOD), but that should be a separate issue from food. And honestly, everything reason I came up with for my poor eating is an excuse. So I hurt my foot and can't exercise? Does that mean healthy living ceases to exist? No! I decided that there is absolutely no reason I should be so off track and I won't get back ON track until I acknowledge that healthy living still continues no matter what.

This is especially important for me as my family is coming in town this weekend. My family is not unhealthy, by any means. But that still won't change the fact that I'll be going out to eat with them Friday and Saturday nights, as well as attending a big family cookout Sunday. My mom and one of my aunts have serious food allergies (soy, caffeine, lactose, corn, wheat all between the two of them), so I know there will be plenty of healthy food available. It still is in the back of my head as an obstacle to succeed. Anytime that I'm not 100% in control of my surroundings, I just feel panic. That's not okay!

Everything boils down to self discipline. If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way to make it happen. I want to be healthy. I want to lose weight. I want to be a size 10. There are a lot of things that I want and everything requires work. You can't expect change without the work. So it's simply a matter of being strict with yourself and remembering all of these goals every time you make a decision.

Self discipline is such a bi**h huh? But, I've said it time and time again - you're biggest obstacle is yourself. It's all about those mental games in your head. It's always acknowledging that you ARE worth it and that you are in control of your actions and your life. At the end of the day, no one caused me to eat bad besides myself. And so what if I am going out to eat? Sure my sodium intake might be a little high, but that doesn't mean anything else has to be. I have to keep remembering one of my healthy living mantras that I use when I vacation, "I will eat the healthy option when it's available so I will not feel guilty when the option is not available."

Honestly, the option to eat healthy is almost ALWAYS there. That's pretty great!

So this week is dedicated to my self discipline again. I will stick to my routine. I will stick to my weekly goals. I will stick to my planned meals. I will hopefully have a good spinning class today and not feel pain in my foot and be able to continue exercising this week. I'm going to take is slow, but I will not let my exercise affect my food. There's no reason!

I'm going to keep working on these principles week and week again until I can get in a solid routine and build the healthy habits again. If I think things are hectic now, just imagine how I'm going to feel in January when I'm in school again! I know myself. I know that if I can't get this under control right now, I'm in trouble once school starts again. Healthy living can defeat anything though, as long as I make it my priority and my focus. I will do this. I'm not giving myself any other option.

Sometimes all you really need is a pep talk with yourself and a reminder why you are doing this. Being healthy is possible and it's actually a lot easier than it seems. You just have to beat those mental demons!

1 comment:

  1. It is so hard to make the healthy choice when there are so many temptations! I ate so horrible last week and now I'm making deliberate decisions to make the better choice for myself at every meal. Just take it meal by meal..we're never going to be perfect..but we can sure try :)

    p.s. glad to hear your foot is better!!

    ReplyDelete