Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Dear this week:

Last week was a really rough week for me and this week I'm totally, TOTALLY making up for it.

Frankly, I just didn't get to workout enough and now - that really shakes me up. So why didn't I get to the gym?

I don't know if I'm the ONLY person that does this.. but if not - feel free to make me feel more sane :) When I have a week that I KNOW I'm going to miss a few workouts due to other commitments, I tend to workout less on the days when I can workout. This really can be applied to all things in life because anytime I feel like I'm slacking in something, instead of making up for it 100 fold during the times that I CAN make it right, instead I slack more and blow the whole thing. I'm an all or nothing girl - if I can't give it my all, I tend to give it none :(

Last week I took Sunday off because I had worked out every day the week prior. My legs were DEAD. Tuesday I had an appointment and wasn't going to get home until late. Friday I went out for my best friend's birthday right after work and had evening plans as well. So that left me Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.. right? Well out of ALL those days - I went to spin on Monday and Thursday and called it a week. It's SO frustrating to me! I will work so so hard for 1-2 weeks straight, see the progress, then blow a week and feel like I'm right back where I started. Luckily that wasn't the case this past week, I actually managed to lose 1/2 a pound, but it still makes me really upset.

This week though, I've dedicated myself and re-focused myself. I have goals. I will achieve those goals. I will stop at NOTHING this week to see that damn scale move. Work hard, eat hard is this week's motto. I have my fitness plan all set out for the week and even a few extra little workouts to really push myself. I'm feeling good about it.

And instead of worrying about my calories like I ALWAYS do, this week I'm just listening to my body. When I'm hungry, I'll eat. When I'm not, I won't. I'm still tracking and still striving for my nutritional goals each day, but I'm not going to worry if I'm low one day and high the next. I'm putting quality, whole foods in my body this week and seeing where it takes me. Sometimes I get so caught up in eating enough calories to support my weekly burn that I just eat junk food to make up the difference. I'd rather be 100 calories short of my goal than eat 200 calories of crap and feel yucky. But some days I have no problem hitting my calorie goal. We'll see where this week takes me!

I'm also DYING to run. I haven't had a long run since my 5K. This week I'm going to have at least 2 long runs - just to build my confidence back up because lately I've been so worried that I've "lost" the ability to run since it's been a few weeks since I've logged any mileage. I know that sounds ridiculous but that's what's in my head! I know myself - I know that I really don't like doing these shorter, HIIT runs and I'd rather run 3-4 miles any day, so that's my plan for this week!

So what does everyone else do when they are faced with a rough week like mine? Do you make it the best you can or do you tend to blow it a little? What are your strategies? I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment